Did you know that Facebook is losing millions of followers a month?
I read this a few weeks ago and it really hit home with me. Of course they are saying it is because users are migrating to other social media platforms but I beg to differ. I think there are many of us that simply enjoy being away from it after realizing how much simpler life is without it.
For the last few months I have barely been on a computer other than to post to the Fan page and write on this blog.
It. has. been. fantastic!
I found that I just haven’t missed FB at all. I still share photos of Lucas I take with the cellphone daily via Instagram but the time I spend reading everyone’s feeds has dwindled to about 5 minutes a day. I have learned a few things from living “unplugged” these last few months…or at least as “unplugged” as I can get since I have to be online for the studio.
Let’s face it..there is a big difference between going online and being a fly on the wall in others lives everyday versus just popping on to make a quick post and leaving the computer behind.
Things I love about being off the social media more often:
- My family and friends have my (for real)…full attention. No time being buried on FB.
- No comparing of anything…if you don’t see your “friends” lavish vacation to some beautiful destination you will never be able to go to…or their new this or that…or parties/dinners/anything you missed…I could go on…but basically “out of site out of mind”. With your focus off of what everyone else is doing you begin to only focus about what YOU are doing.
- You find new passions and talents you never knew you had.
- Not sitting behind a device on a “social media” site that is the furthest thing one could ever get from being “social”. You officially have more useful “time”.
- I SEE my friends more. Actually SEE them. Love that!
- Life gets so simple with out FB. Truly more stress free. How is it that social media is this little hidden stress most of us aren’t even aware we have? Weird.
- My kids get to learn by my example that one doesn’t need to be on FB to be “part of the world” and still be very happy.
Things I hate:
- It seems that most now think that when something big happens in their life that posting it on their “wall” somehow means everyone now knows the big news. New houses, babies, jobs, marriages etc… you name it…if it goes on someones wall they instantly think all their friends must know. So if you see a friend weeks after they do something big and you don’t know about it they are normally testy and will be like “Well I posted it on FB!”. I find myself just wishing for the good old days when friends actually…called each other with big news. Actually connected for real. We have become lazy…posting it on a wall is the easy way out.
- I would totally delete my personal FB account BUT there are many reasons why an FB account is still required. Sharing photos of the kids with family members states away, keeping up with birthday’s (my favorite feature but I do still miss them….just not as much as I used to.), being able to message my friends I know are still on alot, keeping an eye on my own kids social media accounts. All reasons I will never delete my account and who knows…maybe one day I will feel like going back to being more active.
- I do hate missing my friends big news. Makes me sad….I actually love connecting with people for real. Not just online.
Long and the short of it?
You will probably NOT find me on my personal Facebook page much this Summer.
I may drop a photo in here or there…
I may stop by if boredom hits…
But for the most part I will be out in the world…or in my back yard…playing with my kids and hanging with friends at our Summer gatherings.
I am going back to “the good old days” before technology took over my world, or at least as “back” as I can go. I still have the studio and clients to work with after all. I really don’t mind the blog though…or the Fan Page.
I think it is because it is a core group of you that I love getting to gab with about our joint interests.
Gardening, food, family and whole living. Yes…I do love that part of the web
This isn’t for everyone and I have no problem with those who love FB…I am just not one of them.
How about a peek from the gardens last week? They have changed big time in just a week.
My outdoor “Dining room and living room” are coming right along. The compost for the flower beds surrounding them comes this week and they are going to be gorgeous when they are finished! Already we all love sitting out there everyday…watching the birds eat and the garden grow…gabbing with the neighbors.
Believe it or not these spaces are so large now I had to take these pictures from the second floor just to get a good picture.
More to come next week! It looks totally different already!
PS~FB friends…don’t get mad if I miss any part of your life. I am simply not spending the Summer on FB as much as possible. I highly recommend it Call me!